I really don’t care to get predesigned projects, but Sable Creek Press is a regular client whom I wish to maintain good relations with. In this case, not only was the cover already designed, but the photos had already been obtained. Unfortunately, the main photo of the girl was of the worst quality: a low resolution jpeg taken in poor light without a correctly set white balance. I had to use the photo, but it was of such sad quality that even a great deal of playing with it in Photoshop could not make it look presentable. So with the permission of the publisher, I went a little filter crazy with it. I turned the entire concept into a “painting,” and masked the bad quality of the photo by using a filter to make it look like a watercolor painting. For what I had to work with, it came out fairly well, though it only bears a nodding acquaintance with the original concept that the publisher sent me.
Missing in Marietta is a fun little historical mystery that is sure to not only entertain but teach of God’s provisional power in difficult circumstances.